I have followed this meme Tollef Fog Heen: Am I spoiled? quite a few layers up the chain. My first reaction is stunned amazement.
I wonder who first came up with this test for whether you are spoiled? My own definition would include items like:
- Do you have enough food to eat?
- Do you have access to clean drinking water?
- Do you have access to the medical necessities you need?
- Do you have adequate sanitation facilities?
- Can you read and write?
- Do you have shelter at night?
- Can you sleep safely?
- Are you loved by anyone?
- Are you free to speak what you believe?
If you can answer yes to all these and tick any one box in the original list then compared to a very large proportion of the worlds population you are spoiled.
We must switch our thinking around to look at those who have less rather than those who have more when we consider how well off we are.